Friday, January 1, 2010

Why I don't knit with wool (yet).

I have a helper. If anyone takes off any garment and sets it down for more than a moment, my three-year-old housework assistant takes it to the washing machine and drops it in. Sometimes I find it there before I run a load, but not always. One time not long ago a lovely and soft gray wool beanie found its way into the laundry thus. When folding that load, I found a tiny gray thing that might fit my cat, but no longer would fit any of the humans around here. Other wool objects have avioded that fate so far, but it's been a near thing.

I love wool. It knits like a dream and does not feel squeaky or rough on my hands, or split on the needles. But until my helper knows wool does not go in the machine, I'm sticking to the washable stuff. That said, I am very happy to have a helper.

I have not tried super wash wool yet. I imagine it would survive a trip though the machine, but I'm afraid to find out just yet.

Over the next few weeks I will be posting about various brands of acrylic yarns, as I try knitting with them.

No comments: